NEWS & EVENTS
Upcoming 2019 Events
- 7th Annual Fashion Show- April 11
- Touch A Truck Plus- April 27. Pamlico Community College.
- Walk A Mile- May 5. Downtown New Bern.
- 21st Annual Run For Shelter- June 8. Creekside Park. Register at www.runtheeast.com. See poster here.
- New Bern's Tasters Choice Awards- Bites, Brews, and Java- 2019. TBA! You wont want to miss this.
- Please check our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CWSNC/ for the latest events. More to come!
2018 Previous Events
- 20th Annual Run For Shelter- June 16, 2018 at Creekside Park in New Bern- Registration begins at 7 am and the race will begin at 8 am. You can register for this race at www.runtheeast.com or here. Check out all of our remarkable sponsors here who rally behind our cause! This race is held on a USATF Certified course. This race will occur rain or shine and will only be postponed in the case of thunder. Participants can arrive early to enjoy their packet pick up between 7 AM - 7:45 AM. A proud thank you to the overwhelming number of participants and to our sponsors!
- 6th Annual Fashion Show Sponsored By Peacocks Plume- March 8, 2018. New Bern Golf & Country Club. 5-7 pm. Hors D'Oeuvres and wine included. All Proceeds benefit CWS. Tickets can be bought at Peacocks's Plume or in our office at 1333 S Glenburnie Road. See media flyer Here. If you are interested in ad space or silent auction donation please fill out the tax deductible form here and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ad/Donation form here. Tickets can be bought online through paypal here.
- Easter Basket Drive- Ongoing. Please consider donating Easter basket items to our survivors dependents in need. See more information here.
- Roaring 20's Casino Night- This event has been postponed until further notice. We would like to take a moment to thank all of our remarkable supporters and give a huge thank you!
- We would like to give a big Thankyou to our sponsors for making this event successful.
Minges Pepsi Bottling Group
Double Tree By Hilton
Wilson Scarborough & Smith
Proud First time sponsor PNC Bank
Ward And Smith PA
Chevrolet, Volvo, & Lincoln of New Bern
- Walk A Mile in Her Shoes in Partnership with Promise Place- May 4, 2018. A non-profit fundraising event to benefit Craven County, Jones County, and Pamlico County's Domestic Violence Shelter (Coastal Women's Shelter) and Rape Crisis Center (Promise Place).
A one-mile walk through downtown New Bern, NC. Begin at the Union Point Park gazebo and follow the route
Participants should arrive between 5:00-5:30 PM to register and pick up t-shirt. Walk starts at 6:00 PM.Pre-registration is available via website: newbernwalksamile.weebly.com. See flyer here.
- Donor Thank you Luncheon- This luncheon is to say thank you for all of our CWS supporters. We are humbled at the amount of support we receive from the community and we cannot wait to say Thank you! More details to come. May 24, 2018. Thank you to Outback Steak House of New Bern, PNC Bank, Publix, and Harris Teeter- you all have hearts of gold.
- Roaring 20's Harlem Gatsby Adult Prom- Saturday July 14, 2018. For more info visit here.
- 4th Annual Zumbathon- September 8, 2018 at the Havelock Tourist Center. Join us as for our 4TH Annual Zumbathon! This highly anticipated event is a proud partnership with the Havelock Police Department! Tickets can be purchased at the Havelock Tourist Center, Make It Personally Yours, Havelock Police Department, at our office located at 1333 S Glenburnie Road, or online at www.eventbrite.com. Get ready for some of the top instructors to knock your socks off with this exciting event! Featuring ZJ Trista Nicosia- The Zumba Jammer who is going to lead our Zumbathon live! Lets dance it up purple, so dont forget to wear your favorite purple gear and support our fight against domestic violence. This event is action packed with tons of energy. It doesn't stop there however, there is a HUGE silent auction for you to splurge on yourself and shop at some of the areas BEST business'- spoil yourself with a get away to Myrtle Beach, enjoy a day at the spa, play that round of golf! Our silent auction is jam packed with items you wont want to miss. Check. It. Out! The best part? All of your dollars will benefit victims living a life free from domestic violence in our area. We will feature vendors and you can automatically enter to win several raffles and door prizes. Worried about keeping up? Dont be! Participants will be able to follow the dance steps much better while viewing themselves on two large live streaming screens! Instructors will leap from the stage and get down in the audience to dance it up purple with you! See flyer here. Thank you to all of our sponsors, vendors, participants, donors, instructors, Chairs & Co Chairs, the Havelock Police Department, and supporters. With your help, we managed to raise over $14,000.00! BI Brand Institute, Clear Health, Michelle Garcia with Allstate, David & Rosa Magnusson (Event Chair), Allstate Purple Purse Foundation, The Liners, Knights of Columbus, Local Federal Credit Union, AmeroChem Corporation, Matt & Lori Glass, First Flight, Havelock PD, ChickfilA of New Bern, Teresa Walker and The Havelock Tourist and Event Center, Marie Ortiz and Make It Personally Yours, Three Guys Signs, City Of Havelock, Jennifer Cechin (Event Co-Chair).
- Back To School Supply Drive - Help provide students with the tools they need to succeed. CWS will be accepting supply donations until August 30. Should you have any questions contact Ashley Shivar 252-638-4509 .
- Business After Hours in partnership with The Double Tree- September 20, 2018. 5:30-7:00 pm. Downtown New Bern. Join us for a night of networking and introductions from all over the community! This event was cancelled due to the hurricane.
- Domestic Violence Vigil- THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2018, 6-7 PM @
The Filling Station- 221 Main Street Pollocksville NC 2857. See flyer here.
- October "Acts of Kindness Campaign". In honor of domestic violence Awareness month, CWS will be showing our gratitude from your continuous support by doing random acts of kindness throughout our community. If you happen to be a recipient of this gesture, please feel free to post a photo on our facebook page.
- Carolina Lily Fest- GEM Productions is proud to announce that Carolina Lily Fest returns for its fourth year on November 17th as New Bern's premier outlet for the celebration of powerful women in our community. Each year, Carolina Lily Fest hosts an array of female musicians, artists and vendors who donate their time and efforts to raise money for the Coastal Women's Shelter, the sole provider of no-cost comprehensive domestic violence services in Craven, Jones, and Pamlico counties. CWS is an organization that does so much to provide for our community, so let's bear together and help raise funds for this incredible organization. This year's event will return to The Brown Pelican for an evening full of female empowerment for a fantastic cause!
This year's event will be headlined by the immensely talented Crystal Bright, an incredible Chapel Hill based singer/multinstrumentalist who blends European and American world music influences, twisting her music into a darkly cinematic yet operatic burst of energy. Additional eastern NC based acts will be announced soon!
Carolina Lily Fest is open to any female performers/female centric groups, poets, arts or crafts vendors who would like to participate. If you're interested in joining us as a part of Carolina Lily Fest send an email over to email@example.com
5:00 - Strung Together
6:15 - Mandy Mears
7:15 - Sometimes Lions
8:15 - Batts
9:15 - Crystal Bright
- Giving Tuesday- Giving Tuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. One of the best ways to get involved is in your own community. Please keep CWS in mind as this day, November 27, 2018 draws near. You may donate through this website via paypal with the link located at the top of this page, drop off a donation (we would love to see you), or mail a donation to our office located at 1333 S Glenburnie Road New Bern NC 28562.
- Thanksgiving Dinner Donations- CWS is pleased to accept your lending hands in supplying Thanksgiving items to our families in need. For more information, please contact Ashley Shivar or Candice Parker to arrange adopting a specific family. For general donations, the main office at 1333 S Glenburnie Road can accept them at any time M-F from 8-5. Your donation is tax deductible. Food is a basic human need. It is also universal. Give the gift of a full stomach this year to a family in need.
- Adopt A Family- Please consider adopting a family through our agency this holiday season. There are many families who will find joy in your ability to add a little holiday sparkle and answer a Christmas wish. If you are interested in adopting a family, please contact Ashley Shivar at 252-638-4509. You may also pick a special family from Morgans Tavern & Grill located in downtown New Bern. All families for adoption will be available on their Morgans Christmas Tree. For the first time ever in CWS history, our adopt a family drive is being sponsored by Chevrolet of New Bern. Chevrolet of New Bern is a continuous supporter of CWS and its mission. This year, Chevrolet of New Bern along with GM will be gifting our families with almost $4000.00 in gifts. We are beyond humbled to receive this grant from GM and it would not be possible without Chevrolet of New Berns support. We have a tremendous amount of families to help in our areas, and your gesture could go further than you think. Gifting an entire family who has nothing and endured tremendous trauma or danger will give them a chance at Christmas they could remember for a lifetime. See flyer here.
Previous 2017 Events
- Helping Hands Boutique Ribbon Cutting. See flyer here.
- Mumfest October 14th-15th: Come out to our Information booth and learn about our services!
- Chili Fest October 20th-21st: Come out to our Information booth and learn about our services!
- Pamlico County Vigil - October 11th at 6 pm at the Pamlico County Courthouse. Flyer Here.
- Craven County Vigil - October 27th at 12 pm at the Craven County Courthouse. Flyer Here.
- Jones County Vigil - October 19 at 6 pm at the Jones County Courthouse. Flyer Here.
- Touch A Truck Plus- November 19 10 am-3 pm at Pamlico Community College. Touch a Truck Plus is an educational community event that will provide children with a hands on opportunity to see and touch heavy machinery and meet the people who build, protect and serve the Pamlico community. Kids of all ages will be able to explore vehicles such as a fire engine, emergency vehicles, a Vietnam helicopter, construction, agriculture, transportation, school bus, bulldozer, potential race cars, off-road vehicles, sports cars, dragsters, motorcycles, and classic cars. We will have bounce houses, face painting, vendors, crafts, demonstrations, and food trucks available for attendees as well. Flyer here. Vendor, Non Profit, and equipment registration here.
- Belk's Charity Day- Saturday November 4 at the New Bern Belk Store 6 AM- 10 PM. This Charity sale is a private 4 hour sale dedicated to supporting local non-profit organizations. Dont forget to pick your tickets up at Coastal Women's Shelter or at Belk the day of (just make sure to look for Coastal Women's Shelter)! Front page Flyer Here. Back page Flyer Here. You can also buy your tickets Saturday October 28 from 12-2 pm at the Belk Store of New Bern NC.
- 3rd Annual Driving Out Domestic Violence Charity Golf Tournament- The tournament drew in 72 golfers in its first year. Funds generated by the tournament will be used to help our clients establish homes free from domestic violence. The tournament will take place Aug 6, 2017. Please see our flyer and registration form. You may also register online @ www.active.com.
- 3rd Annual Zumbathon- Join us as for our 3rd Annual Zumbathon! This highly anticiapted event is a proud partnership with the Havelock Police Department! Tickets can be purchased at the Havelock Rec Center or at our office located at 1333 S Glenburnie Road.
Get ready for some of the top instructors to knock your socks off with this exciting event! Lets dance it up purple, so dont forget to wear your favorite purple gear and support our fight against domestic violence. Can you guess what the first 50 people will receive?! See our flyer here.
- 2017 Annual Run For Shelter- Our our 19th Annual Run for Shelter 5K, 10K, Virtual Run & 1 Mile race/walk fundraiser scheduled for Saturday, June 17, 2017. Please see our flyer and registration form. You can register in person at Coastal Sole of New Bern, in person at Coastal Women's Shelter, or at www.active.com.
- Beer Army Fundraiser- On Thursday July 6, from 11am-10 pm stop by Beer Army of New Bern for your favorite dish. By simply dining out or ordering to go, you can help benefit Coastal Women's Shelter and individuals living a life free of domestic violence. Check out their tasty menu at www.beerarmy.com.
- Volunteer Seminar- Our volunteers are an integral part of our driving force against domestic violence. With their help, we are able to accomplish so much more. We are always in need of volunteers at our Helping Hands Boutique. CWS will be hosting a volunteer informational seminar on July 7 from 8am-10am. If you are interested in attending, please fill out our volunteer form on this web page or contact Coastal Women's Shelter directly. For more information please see our flyer.
- Belk's Charity Day- April 29th at the New Bern Belk Store. This Charity sale is a private 4 hour sale dedicated to supporting local non-profit organizations. See our flyer here and dont forget to pick your tickets up at Coastal Women's Shelter or at Belk the day of (just make sure to look for Coastal Women's Shelter)!
- Pamlico County Meet & Greet- Tuesday May 16 @ 5:30 pm. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet our new domestic violence advocate for Pamlico County. We look forward to better serving our community and strengthening relations with our neighbors and friends, So come out and join us! Our meet and greet will take place at the Delamar building at the college located in Grantsboro. Please see our flyer.
- Coastal Women's Shelter & Beer Army Fundraising Day- On Thursday July 6, come and support Coastal Women's Shelter while enjoying a tasty burger at Beer Army. A percentage of proceeds from sales will assist and serve individuals battling domestic violence. You may visit Beer Army's website at www.beerarmy.com.
2016 Previous Events:
- The Fellowship: Bright Friday - The Fellowship was such a blessing to sponsor five of our clients and their families to a BRIGHT FRIDAY presentation of gifts and dinner. We are truly appreciative for the love, support, assistance, and guidance they have shown to us and most importantly, our clients.
- Domestic Violence Tree Dedication: Havelock Police Dept November 18th: 11 am- 12 pm - A tree was planted in front of the Havelock Police Department to honor the victims and survivors of Domestic Violence.
- Mumfest November 12th-13th: Come out to our Information booth and learn about our services!
- Jones County Vigil - November 2nd at 6 pm at the Jones County Courthouse.
- Charity Day At Belk's - November 5th
- Helping Hands Boutique Yard Sale - November 5th from 8 am to 2 pm.
- Craven County Vigil - October 28th at 12 pm at the Craven County Courthouse.
- Pamlico County Vigil - October 21st at 12 pm at the Pamlico County Library.
- Zumbathon- September 10th: 10 am-12 pm at the Havelock Recreation Center- Hosted by The Havelock Police Department- Refreshments* Door Prizes*Raffle
- Back To School Supply Drive - Help provide students with the tools they need to succeed. CWS will be accepting supply donations until August 17th. Should you have any questions contact Ashley Shivar 252-638-4509 . See flyer for more details!
- The Safe Nest Project: August 11th 5-7 pm: Isaac Taylor Garden in beautiful downtown New Bern. Charity auction featuring birdhouses painted by local Artists! See flyer. Please email cwsfundd@coastalwomen'sshelter.net for your artist registration form or call Kathy 252-638-4509. Music provided by local artist Dan Phillips! Birdhouses due July 31st!
- 18th Annual Run For Shelter 5K, 10K, & 1 Mile: June 11th: 7am at Creekside Park in New Bern- Registration begins at 7 am and the race will begin at 8 am. Race routes for 5K and 10K available here! You can register online through active.com or mail in your registration. All three distances are newly USATF certified. Tee shirt pick up 7:am to 7:45am the day of the race and are included with the registration fees. Awards will be given (5 and 10K only) to the overall male and female winners, as well as to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place males and females in each age group. Advanced registration is preferred but day of registration will be available (day of shirts with registration is limited). To guarantee a shirt, registration is required by May 27th at 4 pm. Sponsorship's are available - click here to learn more! Registration, via in-person, via mail or online, prices are as follows: Advanced registration up until May 11: $20 - 1 mile walk/run or $25 - 5K or 10K Advanced registration up until June 10: $24 - 1 mile walk/run or $30 - 5K or 10K Day of registration on June 11: $28 - 1 mile walk/run or $35 - 5K or 10K.
- Pickleball: June 4th, 8:30 AM at the Havelock Recreation Center. See flyer for details! What is Pickleball??? A paddle sport created for all ages and skill levels. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.It is a very fun sport combining many elements of tennis,badminton & ping pong.It is played with a paddle and a plastic ball similar to a wiffle ball. It can be played indoors or outdoors on a badminton-size court with a slightly modified tennis net.
- Sisters to Sisters Brunch : May 26th 10-2 pm at the Harrison Center 311 Middle Street New Bern. See Flyer. Please register in advance with Cynthia Miller at Coastal Women's Shelter. This is an afternoon of inspirational testimonies by women of overcoming barriers, a wonderful chance to support, motivate & inspire other women.
- Financial Literacy Seminar: May 21st 11-2 pm at the Jones County NC Works Center (509 Hwy 58N Trenton NC) Please see flyer for further details. Brought to you through the New Choices Program, In partnership with North Carolina Council for Women, Family Violence Prevention & United Way of Coastal Carolina.
- 3rd Annual "WalkaMileinHerShoes"- May 6th at Union Park in New Bern; starts 6PM -HOSTED BY CRAVEN EARLY COLLEGE! Please visit the website : cecwalksamile.weebly.com for more information.
- Belk's Charity Day-April 30th at the New Bern Belk Store. This Charity sale is a private 4 hour sale dedicated to supporting local non-profit organizations.
- Precious Purses - March 2016 hosted by New Bern Women's Club. We have had over 500 purses donated so far!
- Zaxby's Fundraiser Night - March 23rd from 5 to 8 pm. 10% of all sales benefited CWS when dining in at Zaxby's at 2006 S. Glenburnie Road in New Bern.
- 2nd Annual Driving Out Domestic Violence Golf Tournament - April 11th at Carolina Colours Golf Club in New Bern. Four person scramble format. Prizes include 1st, 2nd, 3rd place teams, longest drive & closest to the pin and a chance for a Hole-in-one prize provided by Cella Ford. See poster for more details. * Tournament Survey *
- 4th Annual Spring Fashion Show - April 14th at New Bern Golf and Country Club. Sponsored by Peacock's Plume & South Front to benefit Coastal Women's Shelter.
- Helping Hands Boutique Yard Sale - April 16th from 8 am to 2 pm.
To sign up for our quarterly newsletter & occasional Event Info blasts, CLICK HERE!